The following steps are meant to help you begin thinking about your defense, dissertation, and eventually graduation. Please contact the Student Services Officer if you have any questions about the process or requirements.
Planning Your Dissertation Defense
- Meet with your committee and determine a date and time.
- Inform the Student Services Officer of your defense date and time. The Student Services Officer will help in booking rooms for both the public and closed door session.
Select a University Chair. This has to be someone outside of the department who is not on your committee and is an Academic Council member. Your Oral Examination Committee must have a total 5 members including the University Chair. Your adviser and other committee members should be able to help you find a University Chair. University policy regarding chairs and your committee can be found at http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/graduatedegrees/#doctoraltext.
- Deliver a draft of your dissertation to each of your committee members 30 days prior to your defense.
- Turn in the University Oral Examination form at least two weeks before your defense: https://stanford.app.box.com/v/doc-orals. The Student Services Officer will hand this form to your adviser or University Chair at your defense.
- Email your dissertation title and abstract/dissertation description to the Student Services Officer two weeks before your defense in order to create flyers and send email announcements.
- Following your defense, please turn in the University Oral Examination Form to the Student Services Officer as soon as possible.
Submitting Your Dissertation
- Go to the e-dissertation/thesis center in Axess (instructions for getting there are on the Registrar’s website)
- Select your final reader (often your adviser, but can be any Academic Council member on your committee). They will need to log in to Axess and approve your dissertation before the deadline once you have uploaded your dissertation.
Turn in your signed signature page and title page to the Student Services Center at Tresidder (https://registrar.stanford.edu/students/dissertation-and-thesis-submission/preparing-dissertations-electronic-submission). Signatures must be actual ink signatures on acid-free paper. **Only your reading committee should be included on your signature page. Do NOT include the University Chair or any commitee members only present for the defense.
Autumn Quarter 19-20: Friday, December 6 by noon
Winter Quarter 19-20: Friday, March 13 by noon
Spring Quarter 19-20: Wednesday, June 3 by noon
Summer Quarter 19-20: Friday, August 28 by noon
Be sure that you have applied to graduate in the quarter you are submitting. To file your application through Axess: Select "Apply to Graduate" from the drop-down menu on the Student Center Academics tab and complete the entire application to graduate process.